The Unknowing & the Unbroken
Religion in Enthos
Religion and religious organizations permeate all levels of Enthosian society. The vast majority of the population follows one of three philosophies. This being said, some isolated populations have their own unique traditions and beliefs.
All three of the major ideologies (the Old Pantheon, the Duality of Kobili, and the One Above) agree on a few key facts:
1. The current plain of existence is one of many, though rarely do the multiple plains interact.
2. The god(s) created the Material Plain some 13,000 years ago from the celestial equivalent of an alchemist’s fire.
3. The god(s) created the inhabitants of the Material plain in their image.
The Old Pantheon
Followers of the Pantheon pay homage to the five deities of existence who collectively created the world as we know it. Though all followers respect each of the gods, most clerics and priests devote their service to a specific deity. Followers reside in northern and eastern Enthos.
- Lapisen: The sculptor of the mountains and crags of the world, he stands for honor, construction, war, and justice. Often symbolized by a hammer raised towards the heavens. Revered by dwarves (who believe he chiseled them from the first stones), craftsman, warriors, and adjudicators. Tends toward lawful good.
- Arbole: The creator of the forests and the creatures who inhabit them. Stands for growth, natural cycles, and fertility. Often symbolized by a maple leaf or maple tree. Worshiped by elves (who believe they were created in her image), pious rangers, farmers, and some druids. Tends toward neutral good.
- Marele: The creator of the seas and the administrator of tide and storms. Deity of travel, luck, and romantic love. Often symbolized by a cresting wave, carved into stone for use in talismans. She is revered by adventurers, merchants, sailors, and any pious traveler who happens to pass by her many way-shrines scattered around the lands of the former Empire of Sartoum. Tends toward chaotic good.
- Solisen: The creator of the sky and the sun, as well as the birds and dragons who inhabit it. Regarded as the deity who gave consciousness to the peoples of the earth. Symbolized by the sun with rays reaching towards the earth. Revered by scholars, magi, and anyone who just survived a night in the wilderness. Tends towards true neutral/neutral good.
- Umbren: The final deity is the creator of the stars and moon as well as the darkness that surrounds them. Considered to be the deity of progress, change, mysteries, and death. While few worship him, every major settlement has at least one priest of Umbren at hand to preside over funerals and oversee the preparation of bodies for cremation. The Burners claim to revere him as the harbinger of progress and social change.
Note on Races: While dwarves and elves claim they are of the image of a specific diety, humans and halflings believe they were a joint collaboration between Marele and Solisen. The drow (who are now believed extinct) were created by Umbren. Dragonborn, living in their isolated mountain communities, believe the first of their kind came about by means of dragon eggs that were corrupted by the agents of Umbren.
The Duality of Kobili
Followers of the duality reside mostly in southern Enthos and parts of Dethos. Unlike the Pantheon which teaches of harmony between the five deities, the Duality focuses on the eternal struggle between two universal beings. Instead of serving one deity, clerics and monks of the Duality preach the importance of balance in one’s life. Instead of the large cathedrals and modest churches of the Pantheon, the Duality practices out of small monasteries scattered across the countryside.
- Ilangas: Quite literally the sun. Created light, creatures, knowledge, love, the earth, the air, and just about everything else that is considered to be positive or constructive.
- Nenyangas: Quite literally the moon. Created darkness, demons, mystery, hatred, the sea, fire, and just about everything that is considered to be negative or destructive.
Note on Origin: Followers of the Duality believe that there are nine plains of existence, each with a varying amount of influence from Ilangas and Nenyangas; the Material Plain is the only one that has an even balance between the two deities.
The One Above
The only monotheistic ideology on Enthos or Dethos, the church of the One Above has a grand total of 13 known establishments in the known world. Followers of the church believe that every plain of existence was originally populated by pure evil and chaos. The one true deity created the people and features of this world (and that of other plains) in order to fight back against this evil. As a result, followers of the One Above are strictly lawful good.